The Toro 51494 is a 20-V cordless hedge trimmer that weighs only 6.8 pounds. It features a 22-inch blade, a soft-grip assist handle, and an ergonomic handle that has the ability to rotate 90 degrees in every direction. That means if you’re looking for a trimmer that makes vertical trimming a breeze, the Toro 51494 could be the tool for you.
Aside from the rotating handle, the manufacturers also say that this cordless trimmer runs quietly and that it is easy to use. Of course, only the end consumers can tell whether these promises are delivered. We find out in this Toro 51494 cordless hedge trimmer review.
Consumer Feedback and Our Analysis
– Ease of Use. As a cordless trimmer — meaning, no extension cord and sockets to worry about; and no pulling to start — the 51494 is easy to use. All you have to do is to “pop in the battery and go,” as one consumer has said.
– Battery and Charging. Praises were given to the battery life of this hedge trimmer. At least two people said that they have used “the same charge” to trim their hedges on different days. Also, the battery’s LED light indicator to check life status is a plus.
As for the charger, it charges the battery fast. It can change the battery “from nearly dead to fill in about an hour,” as one consumer has pointed out.
Another plus is that the charger is compact and has an LED light indicator to show charging status. As if this is not enough, the battery slides into the charger with ease and can be ejected by simply pushing in a latch.
– Rotating Handle. This function is found to be helpful. It gives the Toro 51494 some flexibility, which decreases hand fatigue and eliminates the need to change your grip when cutting vertically or from left to right (and then back).
– Edging Function. The edging function can be prepared simply by pushing a button and turning the head at a 90-degree angle. One consumer is not impressed with this function, citing reasons such as difficulty in stabilizing the rotating head and the size of the wheel designed for rolling. Three others, however, find the edging function to work well.
– Performance. The Toro 51494 runs on a 20-V lithium-ion battery, which according to consumer feedback, is powerful enough to cut through branches of up to 3/8″ thick (or probably thicker). Take note that consumers also acknowledge the limitations of the 51494’s cutting ability. After all, it only runs as a 20-V battery.
The Toro 51494 is ideal for yards that need light to normal trimming. It is a lightweight hedge trimmer and comes with helpful function that you can’t have from other cordless. Notable of these functions / features include the rotating handle and the LED light indicator.
More Reviews and Best-Rated Hedge Trimmers Here...
- Toro 51496 Review – Cordless 24-inch 24-volt Lithium-ion Hedge Trimmer
- Weed Eater H5 Cordless Hedge Trimmer Review (20V)
- Craftsman C3 CR2600 Cordless Hedge Trimmer Review
- Makita LXHU02Z Cordless Hedge Trimmer Review
- Greenworks 22262 Review – Does This Trimmer Deliver?
- Worx WG209 Review (Hedge Trimmer and Pruner)
- Mantis DEHT19 Review
- Worx WG255 Review