It can be challenging, dangerous, and sometimes expensive to trim tall hedges. But this is a thing of the past now. With the advent of long reach hedge trimmers, you will never have to hire expensive scaffolding again.
Also, you’ll never have to worry about your safety when trying to trim the top of a tall hedge with a conventional trimmer. With a long-reach, you can trim hard-to-reach hedge areas with your feet safely on the ground.
BUT…wait! Do you need a long-reach hedge trimmer?
Here’s a general rule of thumb. If your hedge already extends beyond your reach and sight, consider having one. Otherwise, you still can use your conventional trimmer if your hedge is manageable.
Features of Long-Reach Hedge Trimmers to Look For
There are at least six brands offering trimmers that work well for tall hedges. But not all of them are created equal. To help you find the best long-reach hedge trimmer, always look for the following features.
– Extendable shaft. Long-reach trimmers have either fixed or extendable shaft. Always go for extendable shaft especially if you have varying heights for your hedges.
– Light weight. Always go for the weight that you can handle. Electric and gas powered long-reach hedge trimmers are heavy.
– Pivoting head. You’ll want a head that you can easily adjust to any angle so you can precisely trim the sides of your hedges.
– Length of the blade. Remember, it’s not just the height you’re concerned about. You also need to consider the width of your hedges. If your hedge is 4 meters wide, your blade should be at least 2 meters. This is on the assumption that you can have access to both sides of the hedge.
Top-Rated Long-Reach Hedge Trimmers
What is the best-rated hedge trimmer for tall hedges? Here, we present a categorized list of the top-rated long-reach hedge trimmers available online. These are rated highly by consumers, and they are classified according to their type — corded, cordless, or gas.
– Best Corded or Electric Long Reach Hedge Trimmers
Corded hedge trimmers come with the hassle of extension cords. If your hedges are far away from a socket, it’s best to consider either cordless or gas-powered long-reach. On the other hand, corded trimmers are environmentally friendly and quieter than others.
– Best Cordless or Battery-operated Long Reach Trimmer
Cordless hedge trimmers or battery-operated long-reach trimmers are lightweight. They’re also portable, making them the ideal machine for hedges situated far from a socket. But the problem with them is their limited battery life.
– Best Gas-Powered Trimmer for Tall Hedges
Gas-powered long-reach hedge trimmers are the most powerful of the trimmers on the list. But they’re more expensive. Also, they pose some problems when it comes to noise and air pollution.